20 mins to prepare // 1 hour, 10 mins to cook // Serves 10
YOU WILL NEED
- 200g – Skinless hazelnuts
- 200g – Butter at room temperature
- 200g – Caster sugar
- 3 – Medium eggs
- 4 – Tablespoon yogurt
- 200g – Self raising flour
- 1/2 – Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 – Pink Lady® apples cored and cut into thin slices (each ½ into 16)
- 1 – Tablespoon icing sugar sifted
- 75g – Butter
- 75g – Soft light brown sugar
- 3 – Tablespoon double cream
- 85g – Hazelnuts roughly crushed
- 1/2 – Pink Lady® apple cored and sliced into thin wedges
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan oven 160C. Lightly grease a square loose bottomed 20×7.5 cm cake tin and fully line with baking parchment.
- Finely grind the hazelnuts in a mini processor. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together with a wooden spoon. Whisk in the eggs and yoghurt until fluffy. Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold in with the ground hazelnuts.
- Fold in the sliced apples and spread the mixture evenly into the tin. Sift over the icing sugar. Put the tin on a baking tray and cook for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the topping. Put the butter, sugar and cream into a small pan and melt together. Stir in the nuts and fold in the apple.
- Spread the mixture over the cake when it has cooked and put back in the oven to bake for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Put the tin on a wire rack to cool. When still warm lift out of the tin and serve warm or cold.
With thanks to the Pink Lady® team, see original post here: https://www.pinkladyapples.co.nz/recipes-all/pink-lady-apple-cake-with-hazelnut-caramel-topping-recipe